Wednesday, November 30

An overland adventure (Part 1)


Well, I’m back and I don’t even know where to start telling you about the 6,000 kilometre, 4 week road / overland trip I have just returned from. 

My "home" for 4 weeks




Some 3,000 images are going to take a while to sort through, select and edit, and I haven’t got a clue as to how I am going to update you, through this blog, on such an epic journey.
 




 

But for now here is a brief summary of our itinerary…….

Trans Kalahari Highway
Ten of us, in six 4x4 vehicles of varying shapes & sizes (mine being the smallest!) set off on the 30th October for Etosha Pan in northern Namibia. We took 5 days to travel there (it is 2,000 km away after all!) via the Trans-Kalahari Highway (Botswana) and then north from Windhoek, through Namibia.

Once at Etosha, we spent 6 days exploring the National Park,
  • panting in the heat,
  • blown away by the wide open vistas,
  • witnessing hundreds of zebra and dozens of elephant, amongst many other animals drinking at the waterholes,
  • lions lolling in the sun,
  • ostrich chicks huddling in the shadow of a parent,
  • billowing dust devils twisting on the horizon………….

Lioness on a zebra kill

A "white" elephant of Etosha

Water in Etosha Pan


 Then we reluctantly but with great expectations moved on, to travel to the Chobe River via the Caprivi Strip of north eastern Namibia.

Again, we took our time, stopping for 1 night here, 2 nights there and making small detours to see places of interest.


Fishermen on the Kavango River

A highlight of this phase was 3 nights spent at a bush camp deep in the eastern Caprivi, on the shore of the Kwando River. It was a place of peace, birds, reeds and water.


Crocodile bait?

Afternoon on the Kwando River


Three nights on the Chobe River at Kasane was enough for us to do a river cruise or two, a quick trip to Victoria Falls for some, and a game drive for others. The Chobe River valley is a visually stunning place but a bit full of people for us after some of the wild areas we had already been through.

Elephant on the Chobe River



In my next posting I will continue the journey..........

(Thanks to Cath, Bud, Mervyn, Carol, John, Rose, Dieter, Mary & Hans for the laughs and company)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow wow wow! Just love the last image - I am extremely jealous of your trip Sue. Look forward to hearing more.

Coral Wild said...

Thanks Jackie. I'm still trying to get back to reality.... Can't sleep - missing my thin mattress, hard ground and blue nylon ceiling :)

Lonicera said...

I can see the pictures are going to be a real treat - I too like the last one best, but they're all lovely. What a journey you've had... (I think this is where a blog comes into it's own - a fabulous way to record an epic such as this for posterity, AND be able to share it, don't you think?)
Caroline

Ruth Swasey said...

Please more!!! Can't wait to see more of your adventure through your words and pictures! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, thanks for keeping my dreams alive ... not that I am bored, but your stories make me want to come back more often and sooner. Looking forward to the next installment :).Dirk.
P.S. This last one IS indeed a beautiful picture.

Coral Wild said...

Hi Caroline, thanks for your kind words. Yes, sharing with others is what I suppose we all blog for - it's just great to know that it's working, by getting the feedback from yourselves...
Sue

Coral Wild said...

hello Ruth. Thanks for your comment. I think you should also start a blog, I love your updates on fb. Sue

Coral Wild said...

Hi Dirk, thanks:)I am eagerly looking forward to more photos & updates from your own adventures this last year.......

OneStonedCrow said...

Stunning pics Coral - especially the last one ... the Caprivi is indeed a stunning area, I don't spend enough time there ...

... can't wait for the next instalment ... but take your time, don't rush through editing those pics ...

good stuff!!

Coral Wild said...

Thanks Graham:) You are so lucky to be so close to some exceptionally beautiful parts of Africa - I was also blown away by Etosha, & will definitely be revisiting northern Namibia (once I have "done" the south, got to East Africa, seen some of South America..........)
The pics will be a slow process - my concentration levels only allow for dipping in every now and again - makes for some nice surprises when I discover forgotten gems!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Coral .. reminded me so much of my trips through the Bush .. am so looking forward to seeing more.

These kind of journeys are just wonderful .. til next time - cheers Hilary

Coral Wild said...

Bush journeys are wonderful aren't they Hilary. I feel very privileged that I can do these still, and am able to share the stories and images with others.
Thanks for the comments,
Sue

Bert & Tineke said...

Hi, Sue, looking forward to more ... your pictures make me dream. Bert & Tineke

Coral Wild said...

Thanks Bert & Tineke. I hope you come out again soon and I will join you!

Joyful said...

A long journey but it looks well worth it. I look forward to hearing more about the adventure and seeing the beautiful landscape and animals.

Coral Wild said...

Thank you Joyful. The distance covered was long but it was a great way of seeing, although fleetingly, the landscapes of Botswana and Namibia, the people and villages, the animals, trees and plants - much more than I could take photos of.....
The memories will always be there.