Saturday, January 31

Kruger in High Summer

On the open plains north of Satara

I've said this before and I've got to say it again - all of you who avoid the bush, especially Kruger National Park, in high summer, whether due to the heat, humidity, malaria, long grass, thick bush or all of the above, don't know what you are missing.







Yes, it can rain but this cools things down a bit;






Sabie River at Skukuza




and yes the rivers can flood,
















Saddle-billed Stork











White-faced Duck
but there are also all new and temporary waterholes scattered everywhere, hosting waterbirds in places you've never seen them before,


















and large hot mammals desperately looking for a little cooling......










Only in high summer can you see so many flowers, 

River Lily
Flame Lily










flowering grasses,





















 
Giant plated Lizard





reptiles and dung beetles..........





























It is also marula season, when every self-respecting fruit connoisseur in the bush is scrounging for the juicy, tart marulas under tall, shady tree canopies.


















And to just add a little more "cuteness" to the whole experience, there are a whole lot more babies around in high summer too!


Blue Wildebeest

I've run out of space, time and probably your patience to also go on about the amazing birds found only in summer, so I will wrap up this posting by urging you to go and see for yourself what a summer safari in Kruger can produce!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see Kruger praised in the January and such beautiful photography. I was a little worried it would somehow be too warm for the animals before going on safaru with you, but it was truly amazing. Thank you!

Gaelyn said...

I miss high summer in Kruger. The heat is usually bearable. Next summer for sure.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing Sue!

Lonicera said...

Just lovely pictures Sue. I only ever went to Kruger, but my parents saw Skukuza too during the years they lived in SA, and loved it.
I'm trying to get back into circulation after two very long years, and have written a post, but photography will probably take a bit longer, as I was so dependent on my late partner John to inspire me. I'll get there in the end I hope!
Caroline